Log in

No account? Create an account
03 December 2004 @ 11:46 am
a question for those of you living in the uk...  
just a couple of quick questions...

- what is the average rent for a room or a flat in the uk (not including london)
- what sort of places do those of you who live in the uk on yr own (or with housemates - ie, not in a family home), rent? ie, are they 1-person flats, sharehouses with other people, etc. and if you don't mind me asking, about how much rent do you pay? {i suppose that sort of ties in with the first question}
- what is an average wage in the uk for full-time work, or hourly rate for casual work like retail?

ta loves ♥
mercurycirce on December 3rd, 2004 01:36 am (UTC)
Hourly rates are about 5 pounds per hour. Or if you have a job at the Council, you get about 13,000 pounds per year.

Um, we live close to the city centre. It differs everywhere. We rent and it's a two-person flat. I think it's 800 pounds a month? I'm not sure. Shared accomodation is much easier though. If you can find a good landlord who will make sure you get into a house with a couple of girls then that would be better for you.
.gauloise on December 3rd, 2004 04:52 pm (UTC)
i live with two other housemates in the city centre of belfast. we're in a four bedroom house (another guy moved out, so it's just the three of us). i pay rent of £180 per month & that's about average for smaller cities in the uk; you'll get the same rates in manchester. liverpool, leeds &etc. the highest amount i've ever heard is £250 per month, which a friend of mine pays to live in the outskirts of glasgow.

you can get one person flats, but they're usually extortionately priced; but sharing houses is really easy. if i can give you some advice, wherever you want to live, go to the local university website & look for houses there as you will find many postgrad or foreign students need extra people for their houses.

the average range for work in part time retail would be about £4.50, with pay increase of 30p after three months. full time retail work goes at about £5.50. if you're looking for full time work in perhaps another insurance company, i highly recommend you go online and check out some recruitment agencies. they give excellent pay; part-time call centre work £6.50 per hour, for example & could help use your skills well for a different type of job if you're sick of the insurance business. it's handy as well, because with the net you can check out houses and jobs before coming over here.

whereabouts do you want to live, anyways?
shimelleglittertastic on December 3rd, 2004 05:34 pm (UTC)
keep in mind rent varies *hugely* by area. if you want to live in the southeast anywhere -- even outside of london -- it's lots o' pennies, but the wages are the same nationally. so if you want to make the most of your money...go north or way west or non-england uk, lol. i pay 650 (pounds) a month for my flat, which is 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. i got it on my own originally, but it could easily be shared by 3 people if there was a couple and a single person -- second bedroom is a bit small for a couple, which is quite common. granted, my rent is a bit high because i didn't want to live in any of the flats next to where i teach (so i can get away from the kids), so if you're prepared to live in an area where not many people want to live, you can get much cheaper rent.
hourly casual work is a fiver an hour -- i think minimum wage is 4.85 or something like that?
there are lots of shares available if you live in a uni town or in the city...fewer in other places. most local counsels actually keep a list of people who run bedsits if you're just looking for a room, or you can go online and find loads of estate agents. www.fish4.co.uk has tons, or there's craig's list for the clued in set. :)
good luck!