1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
- got engaged :]
- got a permanent job in government
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, my biggest goal was to focus on my career and finish 5 more subjects of my Masters degree, and I did both of those [including getting a much better job with lots of career potential]. I also read the 25 books I was aiming for (27, actually). Everything else however (keeping in better touch with friends, not being so stressed, learning to use my camera properly) fell by the wayside.
My resolutions for 2009 will mostly be the same:
- finish my Masters
- focus on my job
- work out whether I am going to do the CA or CPA in 2010
- read another 25 books
- write more of my damn novel (that has been sitting untouched since July, oops)
- stay in better touch with friends (letters, emails, phone calls)
- learn to cook more recipes
- pay off my credit card and save some money (at least $6,000, as a minimum goal)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
moonborn gave birth to a beautiful boy in June! It seemed as though almost everyone I knew from previous jobs, school etc was giving birth or falling pregnant this year
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness
5. What countries did you visit?
None :[ But we are planning an overseas honeymoon in April 2010 - I miss travelling immensely
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More spare time, but I know that's not going to happen! Maybe in 2010. I can't wait for my Masters to be finished (end of October 2009!)
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 9 - when Noel & I got engaged
November 4 - Obama elected president!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being a year closer to finishing my Masters, getting my job in government
9. What was your biggest failure?
Becoming so stressed out that some days I could hardly breathe
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Only tonsilitis, in August
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Books! Lots of books. And Noel brought me a 120gig ipod for my birthday and I love it sooooo much
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Noel's, for putting up with me this year!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The Republicans, particularly in the last few months of the US election campaign
14. Where did most of your money go?
Living expenses like rent & bills. But as for fun things: books, makeup & magazines mostly.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The US election! &getting engaged
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Self Evident - Ani Difranco, Not Ready To Make Nice - Dixie Chicks, Siren Song - Mermaid Kiss, Chasing Cars - Natasha Beddingfield (Snow Patrol cover), Run - Leona Lewis (Snow Patrol cover), Paradise - Sarah Fimm, Into The West - Will Martin (Annie Lennox cover), Out and In - Kate Miller-Heidke, anything from Helen Trevillion's album Inside Myself, Kate Miller-Heidke's album Curiouser and Kings of Leon's album Only By The Night
17. are you happier or sadder? happier :]
thinner or fatter? about the same
richer or poorer? I guess richer in that I don't have anymore debt than this time last year, and am earning more.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Finishing books, rather than starting about 10 at a time - but that's a habit I'll probably never break! Also emailing friends & staying in touch with people.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being so stressed out
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas eve - saw Dad's side of the family ; Christmas morning with the kids & Noel ; lunch with my Mum, Nan & sister ; dinner at the kid's mum's place
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Always more in love with Noel ♥
23. How many one night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Project Runway, Gossip Girl, Lipstick Jungle, Party Animals, and Skins but only for Cassie scenes
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Madness: A Bipolar Life by Marya Hornbacher; Promises to Keep by Jo Biden
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
razorwireshrine introduced me to so many amazing artists, as did glenvorian; Helen Trevillion, Corinna Fugate, Priscilla Hernandez, Hungry Lucy, Sarah Fimm & so many others.
Also thebluebells introduced me to Kate Miller-Heidke's music, and I rediscovered love for Daughter Darling, Ani Difranco, and Snow Patrol
28. What did you want and get?
To pass all the subjects I did this year ; a government job ; getting engaged! &Obama elected as president (although I started the year as a Hillary supporter - I'm just glad it's a Democrat!)
29. What did you want and not get?
More hours in the day! &a door for my study area to block out some of the noise of the kids :P
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Probably Sweeney Todd
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 28; we were in Queensland, and spent the day driving to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast, shopping, and then seeing thebluebells that night for dinner, which was lovely
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More free time
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Way too casual :P I went for comfort, not style this year, but I would like to improve on that in 2009!
34. What kept you sane?
Books, magazines, reading blogs, downloading mixes from various fanmix communities, music in general
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Helena Bonham Carter, and Obama :]
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US presidential election
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
My coworkers have been fantastic :]
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
That people have the power to create change; that above all, there is always hope.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"yes, the lessons are all around us and a change is waiting there
so it's time to pick through the rubble, clean the streets
and clear the air" - Ani Difranco, Self Evident
2008 in review (survey)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?